Monday, October 15, 2007

Wings



It's been a while since I've been able to work on the RV-7 project and I was glad to get back in the garage and get started again. Since my last post I've spent my 28 days in Africa and made it back home on September 27th. The last couple of weeks I was in Chad I had something that was going around that was kind of like the flu and I didn't feel too well when I got back. I had to go to Well Control School for four days the Monday after I got back and then there were all the 'honey-do's' that had to be taken care of. So I've been home for almsot three weeks now and this was my first effort to work on the RV project.
I've been reading through the plans to see what I need to do next and since there are no specific Quick-Build plans to go by it gets kind of confusing in knowing what needs to be done and when. So I decided to start at the beginning and just read through the plans and actually put my hands on each step as if I had done the work so I'd be familiar with how the wing is built. I checked off each step as I went along and today I got to the point where it tells you to make provisions for running wires for wingtip position lights, strobes and landing lights.
I looked at a few other builder web sites to see how they did this and I thought it was pretty straightforward. I got some electrical flex conduit from Home Depot and the outside diameter is slightly larger than 13/16". So I used my Unibit that goes up the 7/8" to have room to slide the conduit in. I think it should have been easier, but with all my measuring and the contortions I had to go through to get the drill aligned, it took a while. But now that I've got one wing done and have it mostly figured out, I hope that the other one will go a lot quicker.
4 Hours
Wings - 34 Hours
Empennage - 195 Hours
Total hours on project - 229 Hours