Friday, August 24, 2007

Wings




Today I was able to complete the assembly of the aileron bracket assemblies for both wings. Once they were assembled I was able to rivet them on the wings. The squeezer wasn't able to reach all the rivets so Donna helped me. She started out shooting the rivets but changed her mind pretty quick and took over the bucking duties.


Once the aileron brackets were finished I pulled out the W-721 flap braces for both the wings along with the aileron gap fairings for both wings. I mounted the flap brace on the right wing and then final drilled the holes where you attach it to the spar of the wing. The plans call for using blind rivets to attach the flap brace. You have to use cherry max rivets on the root end and then MSP-42 rivets for the rest.
It was quite a long day in the garage as all the holes had to be drilled to final size and then deburred. I also had to radius the edges of all the parts to smooth that out with a file, sandpaper, and then polished it up with a scotchbrite pad.
7 Hours
Wings-25 hrs
Empannage-195 hrs
total hours on project=220