Thursday, May 25, 2006

Empennage



I managed to draw first blood on the project today. I was using the scotchbrite wheel on the grinder to trim the excess aluminum from the flange on the HS-702 when something grabbed and next thing I knew there was a small gash on the finger. Imagine that.

As for my progress on the RV-7 today I was able to bend the outboard ends of both HS-710 and HS-714 to the six degree angle called for. I went to Ace Hardware and picked up an angle protractor and measurement device for $13 that worked pretty well for this step. The next step had me scratching my head for a while. I had Donna studying the plans and drawings and she actually figured out the way it was supposed to be done. I marked off the bend line and then drilled the #30 hole and then enlarged it with the Unibit to 1/4". Then it was just a matter of trimming the excess of flange so the proper bend could be made in HS-702. I used a couple of 2X4's to make the bend along the radius of the bend line.

3 Hours