Sunday, May 21, 2006

Empennage


Spent another two and a half hours on the project this afternoon. I didn't work on the project yesterday because I went to the Air Show at Altus Air Force Base and watched the Thunderbirds perform. They're definitely worth going to see, and at Altus the admission was free!

After church today I pulled out the old charcoal grill and fixed hamburgers for Donna and I. Then we went to look at a house during an 'Open House'. We're trying to find a place for my Mom and get her to move up closer to us.

I finally got in the shop about 2:30 and got busy. I used the air drill and final drilled the holes in the pieces I've been working on to a #30 size. Then I used scotchbrite and really cleaned up the pieces. I used the deburring tool and was proud of the finish I came up with. Sure is smooth and nice to the touch. When I got to the next step in the plans (#4) I discovered that I don't have a #19 drill bit. A little oilfield research let me figure out that a #19 is a 0.166 and my drill bits don't come in a size to match. So I reckon I'll order a set of bits off the Internet tonight so I won't run into this problem again.

2.5 Hours