Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Wings


Today I worked on the wing tip installation for the left wing. I decided to leave the wing in the cradle while I worked on the installation. I had left the aileron in the neutral position from yesterday so it was in place. I measured the flange on the wing tip and calculated how much needed to be trimmed away. The aft portion has a lot to be trimmed to provide clearance from the aileron and the aileron hinge bracket. After making the measurements I marked off the portion that needed to be trimmed off and used my drimel tool with a cutting disc to cut it off. Then I made the final trim with a scotchbrite disc on the drimel tool. To smooth the edges I used a 80 grit sandpaper on a sanding block to dress it up. I guess my measurements were pretty accurate as the test fit gave me the 1/4" clearance the plans call for between the aft of the wing tip and the aileron. I was able to use a couple of clamps to hold the wing tip in place and then started drilling the #40 holes into the wing tip using the holes in the wing as a guide. I started at the leading edge and worked to the back, alternating between the top and bottom. I put a cleco in each hole as I drilled to hold the wing tip in place.
2 Hours
Wings - 108 hrs
Empennage - 195 hrs
Total hours on project = 303