Friday, November 07, 2008

Wings




Today I was able to attach the left flap to the left wing. I had to measure and adjust the piano hinge to get the alignment just right between the aileron and flap. Once I had the hinge measured and clamped in place I drilled and Cleco'd it in place. Then I took everything back off so I could dimple the holes. Finally I riveted the bottom half of the hinge in place on the bottom skin of the wing, sandwiching the hinge between the skin and the flap gap seal. Then came the hard part of threading the hinge pin in the eyes of the hinge to mate both halves together. The plans called for drilling a small hole in the aileron hinge bracket to enable the hinge pin to slide in and out once the wing is attached to the fuselage. I wasn't able to get it aligned exactly, but that's good as it will prevent the pin from coming out inadvertently.
6 Hours
Wings -104 hrs
Empennage - 195 hrs
Total hours on project = 299