Friday, March 09, 2007

Empennage



I spent about 4 hours finishing up the empennage today. I had to do a lot of sanding and shaping of the fiberglass parts to get a good fit. When I closed up the ends of the tips on the stabilizers it built up a little more than I needed so I had to sand it down to get it to fit properly. The plans call for a 1/8" gap between the control surfaces. Once I got things sanded down I had to attach the rudder and take it apart four times to get it it fit properly. Then I started on the elevators and only had to take them off twice before I had a good fit. But that's it for the Empennage and my next step is the wings. The Quickbuild option is a little more than $10,000 so I'm going to have to wait to see how the tax man treats me this year and wait for the vacation pay from the company. Hopefully I'll be ready to order by the end of April or first part of May.


4 Hours

Total hours on project = 195