Friday, March 02, 2007

Empennage


I worked on the fiberglass tips for the horizontal stabilizer today. Each of them were too long by about 1 1/2" so I had to trim them back to the proper fit. I held the elevators up to check the clearance to make sure they were sized properly. There were no pre-drilled holes to attach the tips with so I had to measure and mark and then drill the pilot holes through the horizontal stabilizer and the fiberglass tip and cleco it in place. Once I got the tips sized and fit I cut strips of aluminum and glued into the tips for a reinforcement backing for when I rivet the tips in place. I did this for both tips on the horizontal stabilizer and the one on the vertical stabilizer. That was a total of six strips as there is one on each side of each tip.


3 Hours

Total hours on project = 179