Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Empennage

Today I finished up the fiberglass tips for the rudder and the one elevator that I worked on yesterday. I had to final drill the holes to the #30 size and then took everything apart so I could deburr the holes. On the aluminum side of the rudder and elevator I used the squeezer to dimple the holes. For the fiberglass pieces I had to use the countersink bit and countersunk the holes. After I got everything cleaned up well I used the CS4-4 pop rivets and permanently installed the fiberglass tips. When I finished with that I got the last fiberglass tip our for the other elevator and cut the aluminum strips and using the holes in the fiberglass tip drilled the pilot holes in the aluminum. I cleaned everything up real well and then glued the strips to the fiberglass. I was able to hold them in place with clecos and clamps and left it to dry overnight.

4 Hours
Total hours on project = 187