Thursday, September 14, 2006

Empennage

Today I went to the airport and took my C150 out for some exercise. I flew over to my old base at Elk City (36 nm) and enjoyed a cup of coffee. Came on back to Weatherford and put the airplane back in the hangar.

I continued to work on the rudder assembly today. I matched drilled all the stiffeners to the rudder skins (232 holes). Then I disassembled the parts and deburred all the holes. That's front and back on all the stiffeners and both sides of each of the rudder skins. That's 928 holes that had to be deburred. Once I had deburred all the holes I used a Scotchbrite pad and 'polished' each of the holes to ensure that all the burrs were gone and the surface area was smooth for the best set when I rivet. With that done I adjusted the pneumatic squeezer and dimpled all the holes in the 16 stiffeners. I figured that was enough for today. Anyway, Donna was ready for me to get the grill out to cook some ribeyes.

4 Hours

Total hours on project = 80